Breaking the "Code"

And breaking the "Memories" record!

Golden Ratio spiral
My latest post, "Decoding Zozefs Terzivassian designs", broke every record of total views, ever registered in a two-days post of the "Memories" for the last seven (7) years.
More than 1200 visits in just two (2) days, with multiple emails to my personal account from followers.

Followers eager to learn more about my hypothesis, any new tests, and the findings .

In the "Greek bouzouki forum" (http://www.bouzoukiforum.com) a regular, active knowledgeable member "cmkaco" wrote his personal experience regarding my latest reserach:

"A number of years ago, I bought a very expensive set of violin templates of old Stradivari violins that also came with a book purporting to explain how Stradivari used the Golden Mean to design his violins.  However, when I worked through all the math and design elements, there were just too many places where assumptions were made and in the end, my conclusion was that maybe there was some use of the Golden Mean, but it could not be replicated or explained.  Still, an enjoyable way to spend your free time, if you like that sort of endeavor."

"As I am sure you have found, there are a million ways to use the Golden Mean.  Right now, I am studying online with Tom Bills through his Luthier's Edge program.  In his design class he talks about making each guitar part related to the other parts by multiples of a number.  However, there are a lot of different ways to do this.

There are just too many variables.  Now you could do this, but 100 years from now when somebody looks at your guitar and tries to figure out why you designed it that way, they might not see what you did, and say, well he made it that wide, because it looked good that way.  "

During my latest research on Zozef's Terzivassian musical instruments, I came across the exact same conclusion as "cmkaco" did
Many combinations, many assumptions were made, trying to replicate what maybe the master luthier Zozef had in his mind when constructing his musical instruments .

But I didn't want to stop there.
My scientific educational background has helped me throughout  the years in my professional career, to do exactly this... Solve the unsolved technical problems rising in my job, by the use of  a reverse mechanics process.
I have started the same reverse mechanics process on my hypothesis, trying to decode and brake the "code" of Golden ratio usage
If the Golden Ratio logarithm was used by some old Greek master luthiers, then this should follow a "universal" patent.

-I want to believe that I have broken the code for the usage of the golden ratio in bouzouki design.

The past week,  I  finalized a custom ruler (based on the Golden ratio) with adjustable sliders on the X and Y axis.I used this ruler as my guide during the generation of a new personal bouzouki design:

1. The talented luthier Giannis Tsoulogiannis (http://www.hijaz.gr/en/) expeditiously has just started the construction of a three course bouzouki instrument, inspired by the 1950's Zozef Terzivassian's beautiful bouzoukia
This musical instrument will carry one of a kind personal design of  the pick-guard and soundboard decoration, which follows the laws of the Golden Ratio logarithm.

With similarities on  the way that Zozef Terzivassian used to decorate his bouzouki instruments, this three course bouzouki under construction, will prove in a way, if the use of the Golden Ratio in bouzouki decoration and aesthetics,  can generate a generally High-appealing bouzouki...similar to the inexplicable attraction Zozef's  bouzoukia are drifting us for years
Of course aesthetics are always a subjective matter.
Stay tuned,  as the first bouzouki following the Golden Ratio logarithm, starts to be materialized!

-Open Parenthesis-
Using the help of the Golden Ratio logarithm in a complex Art composition is nothing new to me.
Back in 2009  during the creation of a demanded complex 3D composition inspired by the Book of  Revelation, when all of the attempts- placing correctly all of the elements,- had run out, the Golden Ratio helped me tremendously to find the correct solution.

Golden ratio used in Vision of John artwork


-Close Parenthesis-

Breaking the code in the bouzouki design was the "easy part".
The difficult part is the task to break the code on how the Golden Ratio logarithm may been used in the construction and placement of the bouzouki parts.

2. In this sector I have started another test with the help of a very good friend, gifted musician, and follower of the blog.
He has in his possession a very old (1939) bouzouki, made by one of the most famous bouzouki luthiers of that era.
The bouzouki is under complete restoration.
I asked the owner, and the luthier  who is responsible for the restoration, to test if my calculations  using the Golden Ratio logarithm, will place the lower bridge's initial trace,  to a  higher position.
Calculations occurred through a quick photograph I received regarding the instrument, and due to the angle of the photograph they may have some errors.
But it is a good first step at the correct direction. When the bouzouki is restored I will receive multiple hi-quality images, so I can put under microscope my Golden Ratio patent.

This is a new, and exiting chapter for "Memories" blog
Two (2) very important events will be recorded and followed step by step the next coming months.
-Constructing for first time  a three course bouzouki instrument following the Golden Ratio logarithm for its decoration, and
-following the restoration of a historical bouzouki by also testing a personal Golden Ratio calculation when restoration has been completed .

Stay tuned!!!


Comments

Popular Posts